We all have those people who just can’t seem to be happy for us when we succeed. They always have to find a way to bring us down and make us feel bad about ourselves. They are the haters.
What are haters? Haters are people who enjoy making you feel bad.
- They criticize you for being you.
- They make fun of you.
- They talk about you negatively and try to bring you down.
- They dislike you and what you stand for (and want to make sure you know it!).
- They are negative and critical and energy draining.
Haters are always going to hate. That is true. But that doesn’t mean we have to let them get the best of us!
If you are dealing with a hater or haters, these 30 journal prompts can help you understand haters better so you can deal with them in a way that keeps you happy and unique!
30 Journal Prompts To Help You Deal With Haters
1. What Do You Think Motivates Haters?
Even though are not capable of doing it, it’s important that you step into their shoes and see things from their point of view.
What motivates haters?
What makes them tick?
By seeing things from their point of view, you can better understand how to deal with them.
2. What Do You Think Their End Goal Is?
What do haters want from you?
What is their end goal?
Do they simply want to see you fail? Or do they have a more complex goal in mind?
3. How Do Haters Make You Feel?
It’s important to understand how haters make you feel.
Do they make you feel sad? Angry? Frustrated?
4. What Do You Think Their Intentions Are?
Are the haters simply trying to get a rise out of you? Or do they genuinely believe what they’re saying?
Are they trying to destroy you, or do they just have nothing better to do with their time?
5. What Do You Think You Can Do To Diffuse The Situation?
Is there anything you can do to make the situation better?
Sometimes, simply acknowledging the hater can diffuse the situation.
Other times, you might need to take a more aggressive approach.
And, usually, it’s best just to ignore them.
What actions can you take and how will it improve or worsen the situation?
6. What Do You Think The Consequences Of Acting On Their Hate Would Be?
If you act on the hater’s hate and do things based on what they say, what do you think would happen? Would it make your life better or worse?
7. How Can You Use This Experience To Grow?
One of the best things you can do is to use any experience to grow, especially an experience with a hater.
What can you learn from the situation?
What can you take from the situation and apply to your personal growth?
8. How Can You Use Their Negativity To Fuel Your Goals?
Can you prove haters wrong?
Can you show them that their hate only makes you stronger?
How can you use their hate to fuel your accomplishments and success?
9. What Do You Think Would Happen If You Made A 180-Degree Turn And Acted The Opposite Of How They Expect?
This is a great reflection question and would be a great way to catch haters off guard.
If you usually react one way to their hate and you suddenly start reacting in the opposite way, it can really throw them off balance.
10. What Are Some Things You Can Do To Strengthen Your Mental Health?
If haters are really getting to you, it’s important to take care of yourself!
What are some things you can do to strengthen your mental health? This might include journaling (if you are on this journal prompt, you are already doing that), meditating, practicing self-care, or talking to a therapist.
11. What Are Some Things You Can Do To Strengthen Your Emotional Health?
In addition to taking care of your mental health, it’s also important to take care of your emotional health!
What are some things you can do to strengthen your emotional health?
Can you work with taking control of your emotions?
Can you reach out for help?
Can you work on maintaining a status quo of gratitude, no matter what the haters are saying?
12. What Do You Think Would Happen If You Let Their Words Get To You?
If you let the hater’s words get to you, what do you think would happen? How would it affect your goals and your happiness?
10. What Do You Think Would Happen If You Showed Them Compassion?
If you showed haters compassion, do you think it would make a difference? Why or why not?
11. What Do You Think Would Happen If You Forgave Haters?
Forgiving a hater can be really tough. But it’s important to remember that forgiveness is for you, not for them.
If you forgave a hater, do you think it would make a difference? Why or why not?
12. What Would You Say To Your Haters If Given The Chance?
If you could say anything to your haters, what would it be? This is a great way to process your feelings and figure out what you want to say to them if given the chance.
13. What Do You Think Would Happen If You Killed Them With Kindness?
“Killing them with kindness” is a great way to deal with haters! They have nothing to work with if you are kind to them.
If you were extra kind to them, do you think it would make a difference? Why or why not?
How would it make you feel?
14. What Are Some Ways You Can Stand Up For Yourself?
It’s important to stand up for yourself when you’re being attacked by haters! They should not be able to bully you into submission.
What are some ways you can stand up for yourself?
15. What Do You Think Would Happen If You Let Them Win?
If you let the hater win and keep you from doing what you want to do, what do you think would happen?
How would it affect your goals and your happiness?
16. What Would You Do If They Apologized?
If a hater ever apologized, what would you do? Would you accept their apology? Why or why not?
17. What Do You Think Would Happen If You Reached Out To Them?
Sometimes, reaching out to a hater can be really effective. It shows them that you’re not afraid of them and that you’re willing to talk things out.
If you reached out to them, do you think it would make a difference? Why or why not?
Is reaching out to a hater something you want to do?
18. What Are Some Ways You Can Show Them That Their Hate Is Not warranted?
There are probably a lot of ways you can show the hater that their hate is not warranted! What are some things you can do to prove to them that they’re wrong about you?
Remember, though, that haters thrive on negativity and even with the best evidence you have, they may not be able to do anything but hate.
19. What Do You Think Would Happen If You Took The High Road?
With haters, we can either react in the moment and say or do something we’ll later regret, or we can take the high road. It’s not always easy to do, but taking the high road is always the best choice.
When we react in anger, we usually end up saying or doing things we don’t really mean. This can damage relationships and leave hard feelings on both sides.
But when we take the high road, we model positive behavior for others and keep our own integrity intact. Taking the high road requires us to be intentional about our choices and to think about the long-term consequences of our actions.
20. What Are Some Things You Can Do To Boost Your Confidence?
If haters are really getting to you, it’s important to work on boosting your confidence! This can help you minimize their words and focus on what really matters in life.
What are some things you can do to feel more confident about yourself?
21. What Are Some Things You Love About Yourself?
It’s important to remember the things you love about yourself, even when haters are trying to bring you down!
What are some things you love about yourself? This can be anything from your physical appearance to your personality traits.
22. What Are Some Things You’re Proud Of?
Again, it’s important to remember your accomplishments, even when haters are trying to bring you down.
What are some things you’re proud of? This can be anything from getting a good grade on a test to finishing a marathon.
23. What Do You Think Would Happen If You Let Their Words Roll Off Your Back?
If you let the hater’s words roll off your back, do you think it would make a difference? Why or why not?
24. What Are Some Things You Can Do To Keep Yourself From Getting Upset?
If haters are really getting to you, it’s important to have some tricks up your sleeve to keep yourself from getting too upset.
What are some things you can do to stay calm?
For example, you can avoid taking their words seriously. You can imagine their words are coming from something unimportant that doesn’t affect you, like a child’s talking toy or device that doesn’t know what it’s saying. If you can master this, it’s an amazingly effective way to deal with haters.
25. What Do You Think Makes A Successful Person?
Successful people don’t let haters bring them down!
What do you think makes a successful person? This can be anything from their ability to stay positive to their work ethic.
26. Is There Any Criticism From Haters That You Can Use To Improve?
Haters might actually have a point sometimes!
Is there any criticism from haters that you can use to improve? If so, how can you use it to your advantage?
27. What Do You Think Is Going On In Their Lives?
What would have to be going on in a hater’s life to make them so miserable?
Use your imagination to paint a story of what’s going on in their lives.
This can help you feel compassion for them and let go of their words easier.
28. What Are Some Things You Can Do To Fill Your Life With Positive People?
If haters are really getting to you, it’s important to surround yourself with positive people! What are some things you can do to fill your life with positive people? This might include joining a club or organization, volunteering, or going to meetups.
29. What Do You Think Would Happen If You Didn’t Have Haters?
What if life was easy and everyone you met told you that you were the best person in the world?
What if no one challenged you or made you question your actions, goals, or behaviors? Would it be a good thing or a bad thing?
30. What Are Some Things You Can Do To Make Yourself Happy?
At the end of the day, it’s important to focus on your own happiness! What are some things you can do to make yourself happy? What will make you laugh and smile and move forward with optimism?